The story



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The Yamato was a giant battleship built for the Japanese Navy. Completed in 1941 it was the largest, most heavily protected and armoured battleship in the world. The Yamato fought at the Battle of Midway and the Battle of Leyte Gulfe.

Lacking sufficient fuel for a return journey, was also sent out on a suicide mission at Okinawa and was sunk on 7th April 1945.


He is only mentioned in passing and not by name, as part of Hayama's clique.

Volume 2

He is one of the victims and also a suspect in the distributing of numerous chain messages that are spreading around the school. One of the messages claimed that he is a "three-timing douchebag". He ends up grouping with Ooka and Tobe for the workplace tours.

Volume 3

He is seen hanging out with Hayama after class.

Volume 6

In Ebina's culture festival play "the little prince", Yamato portrayed the king. He also happily carried props around for the show. For the concert finale he played the bass in the volunteer band.

Volume 6.5

During the Athletic Festival, Yamato is very serious about winning for the red team. He listens to Hayato's orders without hesitation during the boys bo-taoshi event.

Volume 7

Yamato and Ooka go with Tobe when he requests help with confessing to Ebina. They laugh the entire time and don't take it seriously. During the Kyoto trip Yamato is often seen hanging out with Hayato and his clique.

He accompanied his clique members to the spot where Tobe planned to confess to Hina and was greatly shocked when Hachiman confessed instead. After Hina's rejection of Hachiman, Ooka and Yamato console Tobe.

Volume 7.5

During the judo competition Yamato forms a team with Ooka and Tobe.

Volume 10

It's mentioned that he and Ooka chose the Humanities/Liberal Arts pathway for their third year. He is briefly considered by Hachiman as Hayama's "Y" crush.

Battleship Yamato, sortieing!

The Yamato-class battleships were designed in the 1930&rsquos, after the Japanese withdrew from both the League of Nations and Washington Naval Treaty. The design for these battleships was based on a desire to engage and destroy multiple enemy ships at once, while having enough armor to mitigate damage from enemy shells and torpedoes. This was during a time when aircraft carriers were still seen as a novelty, and battleships were still the main projections of naval force.

Yamato was equipped with nine 46-centimeter (18.1-inch) guns in three triple gun mounts, the largest guns ever put onto a warship of any type. Her secondary armament consisted of twelve 15.5cm (6.1in) guns in four triple gun mounts, taken off the Mogami-class of light cruisers, who received 20.3cm (8in) guns instead (typical heavy cruiser armament). Twelve 12.7cm (5in) dual-purpose guns in six twin mounts made up the rest of her secondary armament. Twenty-four 25mm (1in) guns made up her anti-aircraft armament all told, this made Yamato a force to be reckoned with in naval combat.

Notably, Yamato also featured a full bathhouse, a mess staffed with civilian cooks capable of making full-course meals for high-ranking Imperial Japanese Navy officers, and living quarters more reminiscent of those in a hotel rather than any other typical warship.

Yamato was the first in her class of five planned battleships: only three, including herself, were completed. Musashi was built just like Yamato, launched the same year (1940) and commissioned in 1942 Shinano, on the other hand, though laid down in 1940, was converted into an aircraft carrier in 1942 and launched in 1944.

Yamato joined the 1st Battleship Division in 1941, after being commissioned, joining Nagato and Mutsu. In 1942 she became flagship of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto&rsquos Combined Fleet, and served in that role during the Battle of Midway, in June. She and other battleships were meant to engage and destroy the American carriers once they sortied from Pearl Harbor and approached Midway, but this never occurred. After this, in late August of 1942, she headed to the island of Truk, where she was moored until the 8th of May, 1943. This, combined with her high-end living conditions on board, led to the nickname &ldquoHotel&rdquo. Were it not for a lack of 46cm shells, she would have participated in the battles in Guadalcanal. In February of 1943, her sister ship Musashi replaced her as flagship of the Combined Fleet. In May of 1943 she headed home, to Kure, for inspection and repairs, and returned to Truk in August.

From here, both ships were primarily used as troop transports. In December of 1943, the submarine USS Skate managed a successful torpedo hit, creating a hole five meters (sixteen feet) in diameter in her hull. At Truk she received some temporary repairs, and the next month in Kure, she received full repairs, as well as upgrades to her radar. In addition, the two 15.5cm gun mounts on either beam were removed, and more AA guns (12.7cm DP mounts and 25mm autocannon) were added there instead. In June of 1944, Yamato escorted the Japanese carrier fleet at the Battle of the Philippine Sea, which saw heavy losses of Japanese planes and three carriers. Her only action in the battle was accidental friendly fire against returning Japanese planes. Thereafter, stationed at Hashirajima, items from the ship deemed fire hazards&ndashnot least of which the bedding and mattresses from the quarters&ndashwere removed.

Yamato soon took a larger role at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. In the Sibuyan Sea she was hit twice with bombs her sister Musashi, however, was hit with 17 bombs and 19 torpedoes and eventually sunk. Thereafter, at Samar, Yamato fired her main guns for the first and only time against surface targets, landing hits on the escort carrier USS Gambier Bay. Torpedoes launched by American destroyers at the battle forced her to turn away, and she did not rejoin the battle. The rest of the Japanese fleet retreated, giving up ground to a much smaller, but determined American force. After Leyte Gulf, Yamato was stationed in Brunei for a short while, then returned to Kure, during which time two other ships traveling with her, Kongō and Urakaze, were sunk by USS Sealion&rsquos torpedoes.

In March of 1945 Yamato was hit by a bomb during an American carrier-based raid on the Kure Naval Base. The next month, after the Americans invaded Okinawa, Yamato and a few other ships were picked as part of Operation Ten-Gō, a suicide mission the plan was for Yamato to beach herself on the island and act as a gun emplacement to fight off the Americans until destroyed. The Americans, knowing of this plan, intercepted Yamato and her fleet. On April 7, American carrier-based planes began their attack. Despite Yamato&rsquos heavy AA armament, the massive waves of planes proved too difficult to shoot down. Yamato received at least 6 bomb and 11 torpedo hits. Yamato started to list to port, then capsized finally, one of her main battery magazines exploded, creating a mushroom cloud visible from the home island of Kyūshū. She sank quickly thereafter, and so ended her unremarkable career.

It may be said that Japan&rsquos hopes of saving the war and the age of the battleship went down with Yamato. The age of the aircraft carrier as the primary capital ship was well under way.

Story [ edit | edit source ]

Yamato once belonged to Vergil's father, Sparda who split his immense power into it as well as Force Edge and Rebellion, and according to the Order of the Sword, it was used to seal the "true Hell Gate". It was eventually given to Vergil as a memento, and he used it as his primary weapon. Devil May Cry 4

Vergil wields the Yamato during his attempt to reactivate the Temen-ni-gru alongside Arkham, to unlock the sealed gate of the Demon World and claim his father's power and sword, the Force Edge, for himself. When he is ultimately defeated by Dante, Vergil falls into the Demon World with Yamato, where he is found by Mundus. Vergil attempts to defeat the demon king like his father, but is defeated and reborn as Nelo Angelo. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

Yamato was badly damaged and shattered by Mundus during or after his battle with Vergil. Before turning Vergil into his servant, the elder Son of Sparda lost his grip on Yamato's hilt and the sword was lost to him afterwards. Devil May Cry 5: Visions of V

At some later point, Yamato was found by the Order of the Sword - albeit in its shattered state. It was kept in Agnus's Containment Room within Fortuna Castle but is restored and taken by Nero when his dormant powers as an heir to Sparda emerge. From then on, Nero is able to use the sword while in Devil Trigger. Dante attempts to reclaim the Yamato from Nero, stating that such a powerful weapon had to "stay in the family", but let Nero hold onto it as he went off to save his beloved Kyrie. However, it is taken back from him by Sanctus when he is absorbed into the Savior and is then used by Agnus to reopen the Hell Gate. After slaying Agnus, Dante retrieves Yamato from the gate seal and uses it to destroy the gate, after which he wields it while in his Dark Slayer Style. While fighting the Savior, Dante uses the blade to free Nero and sends it back to him so that the youth can finish the fight against Sanctus. After the battle, Dante charges Nero with keeping it, having realized the boy to be his brother's son after seeing its reaction to him in their second fight, though he would not reveal this to Nero until some time later. Devil May Cry 4

One of Yamato's shards was found by the fire demon Balrog, who used it to escape the Fire Hell realm of the Demon World, with this shard being destroyed during Balrog's battle with Dante. Devil May Cry 5: Before the Nightmare

Yamato would remain in Nero's possession for an untold period, remaining in his Devil Bringer arm as the young hunter continued his career in hunting demons. Unfortunately, Nero would lose possession of Yamato after getting ambushed by Vergil, who effortlessly ripped the Devil Bringer from Nero and reclaimed his lost sword. Vergil would then use the sword to return to his childhood home in Redgrave City, where he then used the Yamato's ability to separate man and devil on himself in a bid to heal his decaying body and increase his demonic power, while also ridding himself of his human heart and the painful memories of his time as Nelo Angelo.

This created the powerful full demon who would come to be called Urizen, while Vergil's humanity would inhabit his cast off crumbling flesh, which came to call himself V. V would allow the discarded Nightmare demons to inhabit his body so they would not fade away, keeping them and himself alive for a short time, as separated from Urizen who now wielded the bulk of their once shared demonic power, V's own body was slowly crumbling away with every move he made as what little demonic power he had left was not enough to sustain it.

When he became Urizen, the Demon King used the Yamato to open a massive portal to the Demon World in Red Grave City so that he could summon the demonic tree Qliphoth. In battles with Urizen, the Yamato took on the form of a reddish-orange crystal that prevented any attacks from reaching him. When the Qliphoth fully revealed itself, he calls the shield away, briefly reverting back into its original form for only a second before vanishing into his hand. After reforming, Vergil would then use the Yamato to battle both Dante and Nero before descending into Hell to cut the roots of the Qliphoth tree and seal the portal to the Underworld opened by Urizen. Devil May Cry 5

Yamato - History

Displacing 72,000 tons, the vessels of the Yamato class were the largest, heaviest, and most heavily armed battleships ever constructed. These marvels of naval design carried the largest naval artillery ever fitted to a warship, sporting nine 460 millimeter naval guns capable of firing 2,998 pound shells over 26 miles. In order to understand these epic battleships and rank their importance, this DVD starts by analyzing the evolution of the Japanese fleet after the Battle of Tsushima in 1905. This astonishing battle, fought as part of the Russo-Japanese War, saw the Japanese destroy two-thirds of the Russian fleet.

Due to the strict secrecy of the Japanese it was impossible for decades to show the original archive footage of these huge ships. Moreover, many of the original design documents and photographs for these ships were destroyed by Japanese special service-officers, meaning only fragmentary records remained. For almost 70 years details of these glorious ships have been scarce, with original footage rarely seen in the Western world, until now. With the discovery of a rare and unseen Japanese archive, these gigantic warships can finally be shown in detail using over 60 minutes of unique Japanese film.

The Men of the Suicide Mission

There were three admirals in the SSAF, two of whom were aboard the Yamato. While Admiral Kosaku Ariga captained the Yamato, Vice Admiral Seiichi Ito commanded the entire SSAF. The Yahagi and the eight escort destroyers that constituted the Second Destroyer Squadron were commanded by Rear Admiral KeizoōKomura, whose headquarters were on the Yahagi. Seiichi Itoōhad furiously opposed the mission, but ultimate control rested with Admiral Soemu Toyoda, who was stationed near Tokyo.

Seiichi Ito’s main reason for objecting was the complete lack of air protection, something not the case for the kamikaze pilots as they flew into their April 6 death dives. Ito’s other reasons for opposing the mission were his concern about the terrible numerical inferiority of his force—eight destroyers compared to America’s 60 destroyers. He also objected to the time of sailing. He wanted the time arranged to allow the SSAF to arrive and attack at night. Ito reportedly gnashed his teeth in rage when his argument that the time of departure should be left to the mission commander was rejected.

Battleship Yamato running at full power during trials in Sukumo Bay, late 1941.

Instead of being elated at the prospect of being chosen to die gloriously for the emperor, the Yamato’s crew was miserable and despondent on the night of April 5, 1945 (Y-3 Day), the night before the SSAF departed on its final mission. At 5:30 pm, three orders were broadcast over the ship’s public address system:

“All cadets prepare to leave the ship.”

“Distribute sake to all divisions.”

Sixty-seven naval cadets of Etajima Naval Academy Class No. 74, who had arrived three days earlier, were ordered to go ashore. But first, the cadets were summoned to the First Wardroom, a room normally reserved for the Yamato’s ensigns and junior grade lieutenants. Sake was drunk in ceremonial farewell. The cadets begged to remain but were gently yet firmly ordered to leave by the Yamato’s executive officer, Jiro Nomura. “We couldn’t bear to take them along on an expedition into certain death,” Nomura said. That night many sailors sang unhappy folk songs and drank heavily.

The next morning, April 6, a dozen or so seriously ill sailors were transferred and some 20 sailors were reassigned at the last moment. Their eyes filled with both regret and relief when they heard the news. In addition, there was the matter of the older sailors, those over age 40, who had proven to be ineffective in what little combat the Yamato had already seen their deaths for no reason would be a brutal blow to their families. After consultation, Admiral Ariga permitted some of these men to leave the ship.

Archaeological findings suggest, however, that improved agricultural techniques—such as the use of iron tools for cultivation and improved techniques for leveling and flooding paddy fields—allowed the Yamato rulers to exercise control over significant manpower resources, both to construct large tombs and to expand the …

The Yamato Period, commonly broken into two separate eras: the Kofun (“tumulus”) Era, from 250 to 538, and the Asuka Era, from 538 to 710, saw the emergence of a central governing power in the west of Japan, centered around the Yamato Province (highlighted in yellow on the map).


Design and construction [ edit | edit source ]

During the 1930s the Japanese government adopted an ultranationalist militancy with a view to greatly expand the Japanese Empire. Ε] Japan withdrew from the League of Nations in 1934, renouncing its treaty obligations. Ζ] After withdrawing from the Washington Naval Treaty, which limited the size and power of capital ships, the Imperial Japanese Navy began their design of the new Yamato class of heavy battleships. The class design was not finalized until 1937. Η] When the class was finally laid down, a great effort was made in Japan to ensure that the ships were built in extreme secrecy to prevent American intelligence officials from learning of their existence and specifications. ⎖] ⎗] As part of the secrecy, the Japanese referred to their armament as 40 cm guns. It was not until the end of the war that her true displacement and the caliber of her weaponry were known. Yamato was the lead ship of the class. ⎘] Planners recognized that Japan would be unable to compete with the output of naval shipyards of the United States should war break out, so the vessels of the Yamato class were designed to be capable of engaging multiple enemy battleships at the same time. ⎙] ⎚] They displaced over 70,000 tons each, and it was hoped that their firepower would offset American naval production capabilities. Β]

Yamato ' s keel was laid down at the Kure Naval Arsenal, Hiroshima, on 4 November 1937, in a dockyard that had to be adapted to accommodate her enormous hull. ⎖] ⎛] The dock was deepened by one meter, and gantry cranes capable of lifting up to 350 tonnes were installed. ⎖] ⎜] Fearful that the United States would learn of the vessel's characteristics, the Japanese erected a canopy over part of the slipway to screen the ship from view. ⎝] Yamato was launched on 8 August 1940, with Captain (later Vice-Admiral) Miyazato Shutoku in command. ⎞]

Armament [ edit | edit source ]

Yamato near the end of her fitting out, 20 September 1941 ⎟]

Yamato ' s main battery consisted of nine 46 cm (18.1 in) 45 Caliber Type 94 naval guns—the largest caliber of naval artillery ever fitted to a warship, ⎠] although the shells were not as heavy as those fired by the British 18-inch naval guns of World War I. Each gun was 21.13 metres (69.3 ft) long, weighed 147.3 tonnes (162.4 short tons), and was capable of firing high explosive or armor piercing shells 42 kilometres (26 mi). ⎡] Her secondary battery comprised twelve 155-millimetre (6.1 in) guns mounted in four triple turrets (one forward, one aft, two midships), and twelve 127-millimetre (5.0 in) guns in six twin mounts (three on each side amidships). These turrets had been taken off the Mogami-class cruisers when those vessels were converted to a main armament of 8 inch guns. In addition, Yamato carried twenty-four 25-millimetre (0.98 in) anti-aircraft guns, primarily mounted amidships. ⎠] When refitted in 1944 and 1945 for naval engagements in the South Pacific, Γ] the secondary battery configuration was changed to six 155 mm guns and twenty four 127 mm guns, and the number of 25 mm anti-aircraft guns was increased to 162. ⎢]

Service [ edit | edit source ]

Trials and initial operations [ edit | edit source ]

Yamato during sea trials, October 1941.

During October or November 1941 Yamato underwent sea trials, reaching her maximum possible speed of 27.4 knots (50.7 km/h 31.5 mph). ⎞] [N 1] As war loomed, priority was given to accelerating military construction. On 16 December—months ahead of schedule—the battleship was formally commissioned at Kure. The ceremony was more austere than usual the Japanese were still intent on concealing the ship's characteristics. ⎞] The same day, under Captain (later Vice-Admiral) Gihachi Takayanagi, she joined fellow battleships Nagato and Mutsu in the 1st Battleship Division. ⎤]

On 12 February 1942, Yamato became the flagship of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto's Combined Fleet. ⎞] ⎣] The Japanese admiral was planning a decisive engagement with the United States Navy at Midway Island, so after participating in war games Yamato departed Hiroshima Bay on 27 May for duty with Yamamoto's main battleship group. ⎞] ⎥] US codebreakers were aware of Yamamoto's intentions and the Battle of Midway proved disastrous for Japan's carrier force, with four fleet carriers and 332 aircraft destroyed. ⎞] Yamamoto exercised overall command from Yamato ' s bridge, ⎥] but his battleplan had widely dispersed his forces to lure the Americans into a trap, and the battleship group was too far away to take part in the engagement. ⎞] On 5 June, Yamamoto ordered the remaining ships to return to Japan, so Yamato withdrew with the main battleship force to Hashirajima before making her way back to Kure. ⎣] ⎤]

Yamato left Kure for Truk on 17 August 1942. ⎦] [N 2] After 11 days at sea, she was sighted by the American submarine USS Flying Fish, which fired four torpedoes, which missed Yamato arrived safely at Truk later that day. ⎣] ⎦] [N 3] She remained here throughout the Guadalcanal Campaign because of a lack of 460 mm ammunition suitable for shore bombardment, uncharted seas around Guadalcanal, and her high fuel consumption. Γ] ⎞] Before the year's end, Captain (later Rear Admiral) Chiaki Matsuda was assigned to command Yamato. ⎦]

On 11 February 1943, Yamato was replaced by her sister ship Musashi as flagship of the Combined Fleet. ⎞] Dubbed "Hotel Yamato" by the Japanese cruiser and destroyer crews stationed in the South Pacific, ⎦] the battleship spent only a single day away from Truk between her arrival in August 1942 and her departure on 8 May 1943. ⎞] ⎧] On that day, she set sail for Yokosuka and from there for Kure, arriving on 14 May. ⎞] ⎧] She spent nine days in dry dock for inspection and general repairs, ⎦] and after sailing to Japan's western Inland Sea she was again dry-docked in late July for significant refitting and upgrades. On 16 August, Yamato began her return to Truk, where she joined a large task force formed in response to American raids on the Tarawa and Makin atolls. ⎦] She sortied in late September with Nagato, three carriers, and smaller warships to intercept US Task Force 15, and again a month later with six battleships, three carriers, and eleven cruisers. Intelligence had reported that the United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor was nearly empty of ships, ⎞] which the Japanese interpreted to mean that an American naval force would strike at Wake Island. ⎞] But there were no radar contacts for six days, and the fleet returned to Truk, arriving on 26 October. ⎞]

Yamato and Musashi anchored in the waters off of the Truk Islands in 1943

Yamato escorted Transport Operation BO-1 from Truk to Yokosuka during 12–17 December. ⎧] Subsequently, because of their extensive storage capacity and thick armor protection, Yamato and Musashi were pressed into service as transport vessels. ⎨] On 25 December, while ferrying troops and equipment—which were wanted as reinforcements for the garrisons at Kavieng and the Admiralty Islands—from Yokosuka to Truk, Yamato and her task group were intercepted by the American submarine Skate about 180 miles (290 km) out at sea. ⎞] ⎩] Skate fired a spread of four torpedoes at Yamato one struck the battleship's starboard side toward the stern. ⎞] A hole 5 metres (16 ft) below the top of her anti-torpedo bulge and measuring some 25 metres (82 ft) across was ripped open in the hull, and a joint between the upper and lower armored belts failed, causing the rear turret's upper magazine to flood. ⎟] Yamato took on about 3,000 tons of water, ⎟] ⎩] but reached Truk later that day. The repair ship Akashi effected temporary repairs on the battleship, ⎦] and Yamato departed on 10 January for Kure. ⎩]

On 16 January 1944, Yamato arrived at Kure for repairs of the torpedo damage and was dry-docked until 3 February 1944. ⎦] During this time, armor plate sloped at 45° was fitted in the area of damage to her hull. It had been proposed that 5,000 long tons (5,100 t) of steel be used to bolster the ship's defense against flooding from torpedo hits outside the armored citadel, but this was rejected out of hand because the additional weight would have increased Yamato ' s displacement and draft by too much. ⎟] While Yamato was dry-docked, Captain Nobuei Morishita—former captain of the battleship Haruna—assumed command. ⎦] On 25 February, Yamato and Musashi were reassigned from the 1st Battleship Division to the Second Fleet.

Line drawing of Yamato as she appeared in 1944–1945 (specific configuration from 7 April 1945)

Yamato was again dry-docked at Kure for further upgrades to all her radar and anti-aircraft systems from 25 February to 18 March 1944. ⎦] Each of the two beam-mounted 6.1 inch (155-mm) triple turrets was removed and replaced by three pairs of 5-inch (127-mm) AA guns in double mounts. In addition, 8 triple and 26 single 25mm AA mounts were added at this time, increasing the total number of 127 mm and 25 mm anti-aircraft guns to 24 and 162, respectively. ⎢] Shelters were also added on the upper deck for the increased AA crews. A Type 13 air search and Type 22, Mod 4, surface search/gunnery control radar were installed and the main mast was altered. Her radar suite was also upgraded to include infrared identification systems and aircraft search and gunnery control radars. ⎦] She left the dry dock on 18 March and went through several trials beginning on 11 April. ⎩] Yamato left Kure on 21 April and embarked soldiers and materiel the following day at Okinoshima for a mission to Manila, reaching the Philippines on 28 April. ⎟] She then moved on to Malaysia to join Vice-Admiral Jisaburo Ozawa's Mobile Fleet at Lingga ⎦] this force arrived at Tawi Tawi on 14 May. ⎦]

Battle of the Philippine Sea [ edit | edit source ]

In early June, Yamato and Musashi were again requisitioned as troop transports, this time to reinforce the garrison and naval defenses of the island of Biak as part of Operation Kon. ⎨] ⎪] The mission was cancelled when word reached Ozawa's headquarters of American carrier attacks on the Mariana Islands. ⎨] Instead the Imperial Japanese Navy reorganized, concentrating the majority of its remaining fighting strength in the hope of achieving a decisive success against the Americans. By this time though, the entire Japanese navy was inferior in numbers and experience to the U.S. Pacific Fleet. ⎪] From 19 to 23 June 1944, Yamato escorted forces of Ozawa's Mobile Fleet during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, dubbed by American pilots "The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot". ⎪] ⎫] The Japanese lost three aircraft carriers and 426 aircraft ⎪] Yamato ' s only significant contribution was mistakenly opening fire on returning Japanese aircraft. ⎦]

Following the battle Yamato withdrew with the Mobile Fleet to the Hashirajima staging area near Kure to refuel and rearm. With Musashi she left the fleet on 24 June for the short journey to Kure, where she received five more triple 25 mm anti-aircraft mounts. ⎪] The opportunity was taken to put in place "emergency buoyancy keeping procedures." These resulted in the removal of almost every flammable item from the battleship, including linoleum, bedding, and mattresses. In place of the latter, men slept on planks which could be used to repair damage. Flammable paints received a new silicon based overcoat, and additional portable pumps and fire fighting apparatus were installed. ⎪] Leaving Japan on 8 July, Yamato—accompanied by the battleships Musashi, Kongō, Nagato, and eleven cruisers and destroyers—sailed south. Yamato and Musashi headed for the Lingga Islands, arriving on 16–17 July. By this stage of the war, Japan's tanker fleet had been much reduced by marauding American submarines, so major fleet units were stationed in the East Indies to be near the source of their fuel supply. ⎪] The battleships remained at the islands for the next three months. ⎪]

Battle of Leyte Gulf [ edit | edit source ]

Yamato on 24 October 1944 during the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea she has just been hit by a bomb.

Between 22 and 25 October 1944, as part of Admiral Takeo Kurita's Centre Force (also known as Force A or First Striking Force), Yamato took part in one of the largest naval engagements in history—the Battle of Leyte Gulf. ⎬] In response to the American invasion of the Philippines, Operation Shō-Gō called for a number of Japanese groups to converge on the island of Leyte, where American troops were landing. On 18 October, Yamato was given a coating of black camouflage in preparation for her nighttime transit of the San Bernardino Strait the main ingredient was soot taken from her smokestack. ⎦] While en route to Leyte the force was attacked in Palawan Passage on 23 October by the submarines USS Darter and Dace, which sank two Takao-class heavy cruisers including Kurita's flagship, Atago, and damaged a third. ⎭] Kurita survived the loss of Atago and transferred his flag to Yamato. ⎦]

Battle of the Sibuyan Sea [ edit | edit source ]

The following day the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea hurt the Centre Force badly with the loss of three more heavy cruisers, eliminating a substantial part of the fleet's anti-aircraft defence. During the course of the day, American carrier aircraft sortied a total of 259 times. Aircraft from the USS Essex struck Yamato with two armor piercing bombs and scored one near miss Yamato suffered moderate damage and took on about 3,370 tonnes (3,320 long tons) of water, but remained battleworthy. ⎮] However, her sister ship Musashi became the focus of the American attacks and eventually sank after being hit with 17 bombs and 19 torpedoes. ⎯]

Battle off Samar [ edit | edit source ]

Unknown to the Japanese admiral, the main American defensive force with Admiral William Halsey, Jr. departed Leyte on the evening of 24 October. Convinced that Kurita's Centre Force had been turned back, Halsey took his powerful 3rd Fleet in pursuit of the Japanese Northern Force, a decoy group composed of one fleet aircraft carrier (Zuikaku), three light carriers, two Ise-class hybrid battleship-carriers, and their escorts. ⎭] The deception was a success, drawing away five fleet carriers and five light carriers with more than 600 aircraft among them, six fast battleships, eight cruisers, and over 40 destroyers. During the hours of darkness Kurita's force navigated the San Bernardino Strait and shortly after dawn, in the Battle off Samar, attacked an American formation that had remained in the area to provide close support for the invading troops. Known as "Taffy 3", this small group comprised six escort carriers, three destroyers, and four destroyer escorts. ⎰] In the initial stages of this battle, Yamato engaged enemy surface targets for the only time in her career, hitting several American ships. ⎰] ⎱] ⎲] After Yamato confirmed primary battery hits on the escort carrier USS Gambier Bay, a spread of torpedoes heading for Yamato were spotted the battleship was forced to steer away from the fighting to avoid them and was unable to rejoin the battle. ⎭] Although armed only with torpedoes and 5 inch guns and under attack by large caliber cannons, the light American surface combatants, supported by FM-2 Wildcats and TBM Avengers from Taffy 3's escort carriers, ⎳] attacked so ferociously that Kurita believed his ships were engaging a full American task force of fleet carriers. ⎭] A mistaken report that he was facing six fleet carriers, three cruisers, and two destroyers led Kurita to order his task force to turn and disengage. Yamato emerged from the battle without serious damage only three near misses from bombs and seventeen casualties from strafing were suffered during the battle itself, while carrier strikes during the retreat caused light damage to the ship and injured or killed 21 crewmen. Three more heavy cruisers and one light cruiser were subsequently lost. The Centre Force sank one American escort carrier (CVE), two destroyers, and a destroyer escort. ⎭] A second CVE was lost by kamikaze attack after the surface engagement.

Following the engagement Yamato and the remnants of Kurita's force returned to Brunei. ⎴] On 15 November 1944, the 1st Battleship Division was disbanded and Yamato became the flagship of the Second Fleet. ⎦] On 21 November, while transiting the East China Sea in a withdrawal to Kure Naval Base, ⎵] Yamato ' s battle group was attacked by the submarine USS Sealion. The battleship Kongō and destroyer Urakaze were lost. ⎶] Yamato was immediately drydocked for repairs and anti-aircraft upgrades on reaching Kure, where several of the battleship's older anti-aircraft guns were replaced. On 25 November, Captain Aruga Kōsaku was named Yamato ' s commander. ⎦]

Operation Ten-Go [ edit | edit source ]

Yamato under attack off Kure on 19 March 1945.

Yamato ' s senior officers just before Ten-Go

On 1 January 1945, Yamato, Haruna and Nagato were transferred to the newly reactivated 1st Battleship Division. Yamato left drydock two days later for Japan's Inland Sea. ⎦] This reassignment was brief the 1st Battleship Division was deactivated once again on 10 February and Yamato was allotted to the 1st Carrier Division. ⎷] On 19 March, American carrier aircraft from Enterprise, Yorktown and Intrepid raided Kure. ⎷] ⎸] Although 16 warships were hit, Yamato sustained only minor damage from a number of near misses and from one bomb that struck her bridge. ⎱] The intervention of a squadron of Kawanishi N1K1 "Shiden" fighters (named "George" by the Allies) flown by veteran Japanese fighter instructors prevented the raid from doing too much damage to the base and assembled ships, ⎸] [N 4] while Yamato ' s ability to maneuver—albeit slowly—in the Nasami Channel benefited her. ⎱]

As the final step before their planned invasion of the Japanese mainland, Allied forces invaded Okinawa on 1 April. ⎹] The Imperial Japanese Navy's response was to organise a mission codenamed Operation Ten-Go that would see the commitment of much of Japan's remaining surface strength. Yamato and nine escorts (the cruiser Yahagi and eight destroyers) would sail to Okinawa and, in concert with kamikaze and Okinawa-based army units, attack the Allied forces assembled on and around Okinawa. Yamato would then be beached to act as an unsinkable gun emplacement and continue to fight until destroyed. ⎺] ⎻] In preparation for the mission, Yamato had taken on a full stock of ammunition on 29 March. ⎦] According to the Japanese plan, the ships were supposed to take aboard only enough fuel for a one way voyage to Okinawa, but additional fuel amounting to 60 percent of capacity was issued on the authority of local base commanders. Designated the "Surface Special Attack Force", the ships left Tokuyama at 15:20 on 6 April. ⎺] ⎻]

Unfortunately for the Japanese, the Allies had intercepted and decoded their radio transmissions, learning the particulars of Operation Ten-Go. Further confirmation of Japanese intentions came around 20:00 when the Surface Special Attack Force, navigating the Bungo Strait, was spotted by the American submarines Threadfin and Hackleback. Both reported Yamato ' s position to the main American carrier strike force, Γ] ⎻] but neither could attack because of the speed of the Japanese ships—22 knots (25 mph 41 km/h)—and their extreme zigzagging. ⎻]

The Allied forces around Okinawa began to brace for an assault. Admiral Raymond Spruance ordered six battleships already engaged in shore bombardment in the sector to prepare for surface action against Yamato. These orders were countermanded in favor of strikes from Admiral Marc Mitscher's aircraft carriers, but as a contingency the battleships together with seven cruisers and twenty one destroyers were sent to interdict the Japanese force before it could reach the vulnerable transports and landing craft. ⎻] [N 5]

Yamato steering to avoid bombs and aerial torpedoes during Operation Ten-Go

Yamato ' s crew were at general quarters and ready for anti-aircraft action by dawn on 7 April. The first Allied aircraft made contact with the Surface Special Attack Force at 08:23 two flying boats arrived soon thereafter, and for the next five hours, Yamato fired Common Type 3 or Beehive (3 Shiki tsûjôdan) shells at the Allied seaplanes, but could not prevent them from shadowing the force. Yamato obtained her first radar contact with aircraft at 10:00 an hour later American F6F Hellcat fighters appeared overhead to deal with any Japanese aircraft that might appear. None did. ⎼] [N 6]

At about 12:30, 280 bomber and torpedo bomber aircraft arrived over the Japanese force. Asashimo, which had earlier fallen out of formation due to engine trouble, was caught and sunk by a detachment of aircraft from the San Jacinto. The Surface Special Attack Force increased speed to 24 knots (28 mph 44 km/h), and following standard Japanese anti-aircraft defensive measures, the destroyers began circling Yamato. The first aircraft swooped in to attack at 12:37. Yahagi turned and raced away at 35 knots (40 mph 65 km/h) in an attempt to draw off some of the attackers it drew off only an insignificant number. Yamato was not hit for four minutes, but at 12:41 two bombs obliterated two of her triple 25 mm anti-aircraft mounts and blew a hole in the deck. A third bomb then destroyed her radar room and the starboard aft 127 mm mount. At 12:46 another two bombs struck the battleship's port side, one slightly ahead of the aft 155 mm centreline turret and the other right on top of the gun. These caused a great deal of damage to the turret and its magazines only one man survived. ⎼] [N 7] At 12:45 a single torpedo struck Yamato far forward on her port side, sending extreme shocks throughout the ship. Because many of the hit's survivors were later killed by strafing or were trapped when Yamato sank, the details are uncertain, but authors Garzke and Dulin record that little damage was caused. ⎼] Shortly afterward up to three more torpedoes struck Yamato. Two impacts—on the port side near the engine room and on one of the boiler rooms—are confirmed the third is disputed but is regarded by Garzke and Dulin as probable because it would explain the reported flooding in Yamato ' s auxiliary steering room. The attack ended around 12:47, leaving the battleship listing 5–6° to port counterflooding—deliberately flooding compartments on the other side of the ship—reduced the list to 1°. One boiler room had been disabled, slightly reducing Yamato ' s top speed, and strafing had incapacitated many of the gun crews who manned Yamato ' s unprotected 25 mm anti-aircraft weapons, sharply curtailing their effectiveness. ⎼]

Yamato photographed during the battle by an aircraft from USS Yorktown (CV-10). The battleship is on fire and visibly listing to port.

The second attack started just before 13:00. In a coordinated strike, dive bombers flew high overhead to begin their runs while torpedo bombers approached from all directions at just above sea level. Overwhelmed by the number of targets, the battleship's anti-aircraft guns were less than effective, and the Japanese tried desperate measures to break up the attack. Yamato ' s main guns were loaded with Beehive shells fused to explode one second after firing—a mere 1,000 m (3,300 ft) from the ship—but this had little effect. Three or four torpedoes struck the battleship on the port side, and one to starboard. Three hits, close together on the port side, are confirmed: one struck a fireroom that had been hit earlier, one impacted a different fireroom, and the third hit the hull adjacent to a previously damaged outboard engine room, increasing the water that had already been flowing into that space and possibly causing flooding in nearby locations. The fourth, unconfirmed, hit may have struck aft of the third Garzke and Dulin believe this would explain the rapid flooding that reportedly occurred in that location. ⎽] This attack left Yamato in a perilous position, listing 15–18° to port. Counterflooding all of the remaining starboard void spaces lessened this to 10°, but further correction would have required either repairs or flooding the starboard engine and fire rooms. Although the battleship was in no danger of sinking at this point, the list meant that the main battery was unable to fire and her maximum speed was limited to 18 knots (33 km/h 21 mph). ⎾]

The third and most damaging attack developed at about 13:40. At least four bombs hit the ship's superstructure and caused heavy casualties among her 25 mm anti-aircraft gun crews. Many near misses drove in her outer plating, partially compromising her defense against torpedoes. Most serious were four more torpedo impacts. Three exploded on the port side, increasing water intake into the port inner engine room and flooding yet another fireroom and the steering gear room. With the auxiliary steering room already underwater, the ship lost all maneuverability and became stuck in a starboard turn. The fourth torpedo most likely hit the starboard outer engine room which, along with three other rooms on the starboard side, was in the process of being counterflooded to reduce the port list. The torpedo strike greatly increased the rate of water intake, trapping many crewmen before they could escape. ⎿]

The explosion of Yamato ' s magazines

At 14:02, the order was belatedly given to abandon ship. By this time, Yamato ' s speed had dropped to 10 knots (19 km/h 12 mph) and her list was steadily increasing. Fires were raging out of control in some sections of the ship and alarms had begun to sound on the bridge warning of critical temperatures in the forward main battery magazines. [N 8] Normal practice would have been to flood the magazines, preventing any explosion, but the pumping stations that should have performed this task had been rendered unusable by previous flooding. ⏁]

At 14:05, Yahagi sank, the victim of twelve bombs and seven torpedoes. At the same time, a final flight of torpedo bombers attacked Yamato from her starboard side. Her list was now such that the torpedoes—set to a depth of 6.1 m (20 ft)—struck the bottom of her hull. The battleship continued her inexorable roll to port. ⎦] By 14:20, the power went out and her remaining 25 mm anti-aircraft guns began to drop into the sea. Three minutes later, Yamato capsized. Her main 46 cm turrets fell off, and as she rolled suction was created that drew swimming crewmen back toward the ship. When the roll reached approximately 120°, one of the two bow magazines detonated in a tremendous explosion. ⏁] The resulting mushroom cloud—over 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) high—was seen 160 kilometres (99 mi) away on Kyūshū. ⏂] Yamato sank rapidly, losing an estimated 2,055 of her 2,332 crew, including fleet commander Vice-Admiral Seiichi Itō. ⎦] [N 9] The few survivors were recovered by the four surviving destroyers, which withdrew to Japan. ⎦]

From the first attack at 12:37 to the explosion at 14:23, Yamato was hit by at least eleven torpedoes and six bombs. There may have been two more torpedo and bomb hits, but this is not confirmed. ⏁] ⏃]


Dragon Gate (2006–present) [ edit | edit source ]

Early career (2006–2008) [ edit | edit source ]

The 5th graduate of the Dragon Gate dojo, Onodera had previous professional fighting experience competing under his real name in Pancrase and was recruited into Final M2K directly after his debut. Yasushi Kanda gave him his "Gekokujoh" character and inherited a lot of the Gekokujoh-era moves that Kanda had used during his own career. He later chose to leave Final M2K so he could grow along his own path, which was one of the reasons for the M2K break-up.

He won the first NEX-1 Tournament, which earned him the right to travel to the U.S. His stay was brief, at under three months. He returned in May, aligning with his generation peers Shingo Takagi, BxB Hulk and Cyber Kong in New Hazard, dropping the Gekokujoh lineage completely and renaming himself to YAMATO.

He appeared in Ring Of Honor's All Star Extravaganza III and Super Card of Honor II. He defeated Pelle Primeau and was beaten by Claudio Castagnoli during a U.S. tour.

Heel Turn (2008–2009) [ edit | edit source ]

On April 17, 2008, YAMATO betrayed New Hazard and sided with the Muscle Outlaw'z after he attacked his partner Naoki Tanizaki in a tag match against Gamma and Genki Horiguchi. However, the betrayal was a ruse, that on May 14, Takagi and Kong betrayed Hulk before the trio were scheduled to defend their Open the Triangle Gate Championship against YAMATO, Gamma and Horiguchi. New Hazard was ended, Takagi and Kong joined up with YAMATO and company to form the new super-heel group Real Hazard. Then, he, Gamma, and Takagi won the newly-vacant Open the Triangle Gate titles in an impromptu match against Hulk, Naruki Doi, and Masato Yoshino. Their title reign lasted until June 28, when they were defeated by Kenichiro Arai, Taku Iwasa and Shinobu. However, he would win them back from them on July 12, along with Yasushi Kanda and Gamma, and the trio would lose the titles to Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii and Magnitude Kishiwada on September 28. But, YAMATO would not be without a championship for long, a week later, he teamed with Cyber Kong to defeat Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino for the Open the Twin Gate Championship.

When Gamma and Yasushi Kanda began to have serious problems with each other, he helped organize a match between them where the loser would be kicked out of Real Hazard. Even though, Kanda lost, Gamma ended up being the one ousted from the unit, after Keni'chiro Arai joined the group's ranks and assisted them in beating down Gamma. YAMATO then took over Gamma's role as leader.

On March 1, he and Cyber Kong would lose the Open the Twin Gate titles to Susumu Yokosuka and Gamma after his stablemate Kagetora interfered and turned on them. He then began to provoke BxB Hulk and even offered him to join Real Hazard under his Black Hulk persona. Hulk responded by randomly attacking members of Real Hazard as Black Hulk, dominating each attack until April 15, when Real Hazard got the better of him and laid him out. YAMATO then challenged him to a match, and said he did not care whether Hulk fought him as Black Hulk or his normal self. The match, held on May 5, saw BxB Hulk as Black Hulk beat him by referee stoppage.

Shortly after this, a lot of friendly fire began to occur between Real Hazard in their matches. On May 23, YAMATO told the group not to interfere in his match in the next day against Shingo Takagi. However, Kanda still hits Takagi with a blue box and then tossed the box to YAMATO. A disappointed YAMATO refused to use the blue box and even gave Takagi a free shot on him due to the interference. In the end, YAMATO lost the match. The refusal of help from his stable caused Genki Horiguchi to question his reasoning. He then went to New Japan Pro Wrestling to compete in their annual Best of the Super Juniors tournament, hoping tensions would've cooled down by the time he returned to Dragon Gate. Though he was eliminated from contention in the round-robin portion of the tournament, only winning two of six matches, his two wins came against junior heavyweight greats Jushin Thunder Liger and the eventual winner Koji Kanemoto. When he returned to Dragon Gate, he continually refused to team with his Real Hazard stablemates, and finally quit the group all together on June 26.

Face Turn (2009–2013) [ edit | edit source ]

He joined up with KAMIKAZE and re-formed his team with Shingo Takagi, and they made a challenge for Ryo Saito and Genki Horiguchi's Open the Twin Gate Titles on July 19. They failed to capture the titles due to him being blinded by a protein powder attack from Keni'chiro Arai. However, they would gain another title shot in August, after winning the annual Summer Adventure Tag League Tournament, and they would win the titles a month later. They would lose the title to Cima and Gamma on December 27.

On March 22, 2010, YAMATO defeated Naruki Doi to win Open the Dream Gate Championship at Compilation Gate 2010 in Tokyo. Following this match, YAMATO enjoyed three successful title defenses against Susumu Yokosuka, Shingo Takagi and Masaaki Mochizuki. On July 11, 2010, YAMATO lost the Open the Dream Gate Championship to Masato Yoshino at Kobe World 2010.

On May 13, 2011, Takagi disbanded Kamikaze and the following day both him and YAMATO joined Masaaki Mochizuki's new stable, Junction Three, to battle Cima's Blood Warriors. On June 18, YAMATO, Gamma and Yoshino defeated the Blood Warriors team of CIMA, Naruki Doi and BxB Hulk to win the vacant Open the Triangle Gate Championship. They would go on to lose the title to the Blood Warriors team of Kzy, Naoki Tanizaki and Naruki Doi on September 2. On October 16, YAMATO lost his hair to Cyber Kong in a six-way steel cage Hair vs. Hair match. On February 9, 2012, Junction Three was forced to disband, after losing a fourteen man elimination tag team match to Blood Warriors.

On April 19, 2012, YAMATO, alongside Shingo Takagi joined with Dragon Gate NEX Member Chihiro Tominaga, and the debuting Super Shenlong III and formed -akatsuki-. On July 22, 2012, YAMATO and Shingo Takagi defeated Jimmy Kagetora and Jimmy Susumu to win Open the Twin Gate Championship. They lost the title to Don Fujii and Masaaki Mochizuki on September 23, 2012. YAMATO and Takagi won the title for their third time together on May 5, 2013, by defeating BxB Hulk and Uhaa Nation.

Mad Blankey and VerserK (2013–2016) [ edit | edit source ]

YAMATO and Takagi lost the titles to Akira Tozawa and BxB Hulk on June 15, when YAMATO turned on Takagi to join Tozawa and Hulk's Mad Blankey stable. On August 1, YAMATO became the new leader of Mad Blankey, when the stable turned on Akira Tozawa. On August 23, YAMATO defeated Shingo Takagi to win the Open the Dream Gate Championship for the second time. On October 6, YAMATO became a double champion, when he, BxB Hulk and Cyber Kong defeated Takagi, Akira Tozawa and Masato Yoshino to win the vacant Open the Triangle Gate Championship. However, just four days later, he lost the Open the Dream Gate Championship to Yoshino. On December 5, Mad Blankey also lost the Open the Triangle Gate Championship to Millennials (Eita, Flamita and T-Hawk). On December 8, the Mad Blankey duo of YAMATO and Naruki Doi defeated the Millennials to win the Open the Twin Gate Championship. They lost the title to Akira Tozawa and Shingo Takagi on December 22. On May 5, 2014, YAMATO won the Open the Dream Gate Championship for a record-tying third time by defeating Ricochet. He lost the title to former Mad Blankey stablemate BxB Hulk on July 20. On July 13 YAMATO and Naruki Doi defeated Masato Yoshino and Shachihoko BOY to win Open the Twin Gate Championship for the second time. On August 16, 2015, Mad Blankey was forced to disband after losing to Jimmyz in a five-on-five elimination tag team match, after being betrayed by K-ness.

On September 23, YAMATO formed a new stable named VerserK with Cyber Kong, Kotoka, Mondai Ryu, Naruki Doi and Shingo Takagi. On May 6, YAMATO and Doi would lose the Twin Gate Championships to Big R Shimizu and T-Hawk, ending their record breaking 267 day reign with the record breaking of 9 defenses. Later, Takagi and YAMATO started to have issues, when Takagi won the Open The Dream Gate Champion for the fourth time, everyone shook hands except YAMATO. On March 28 the problems between YAMATO and Takagi got even worst when YAMATO hit Takagi during the close of the match against Monster Express which allowed Big R Shimizu to pick up the win and everyone seemed to point blame at each other as a clear rift was looming over the group. Later on April 7 after VerserK lost to Jimmyz, Doi and Tanizaki decide to be on YAMATO's side while Kotoka and Kong decide to be on Takagi's side and Mondai Ryu just chose the both sides and the General manager Takayuki Yagi capitalized on this opportunity of 6 entrants was the exact number he wanted for the cage match at Dead or Alive.

Tribe Vanguard (2016–2019) [ edit | edit source ]

On May 5, during the Dead or Alive cage match, YAMATO was betrayed by his VerserK stablemates and later aligned with BxB Hulk, Kzy, and Yosuke Santa Maria, turning face in the process. On June 12, YAMATO defeated Big R Shimizu to win the annual King of Gate tournament. On July 24 at the Kobe World Pro Wrestling Festival, YAMATO defeated Shingo Takagi to win the Open The Dream Gate Champion for the fourth time. On September 22, 2016, YAMATO made his first title defense against Akira Tozawa. On December 25, YAMATO made his second title defense against Naruki Doi. His third title defense was on February 2, against his stablemate BxB Hulk, after the match, he was attacked by Cyber Kong who latter challenged him at Champion Gate.

On March 5, YAMATO successfully defended the title against Cyber Kong. Later, YAMATO announced that he would defend his title in the Dead Or Alive Steel Cage Match against Takagi, Kong, Hulk and Doi in which would lead tensions starting to rise between YAMATO and Hulk including Hulk stealing YAMATO's Frankensteiner of The Almighty move. On May 5, YAMATO made his fifth title defense against Takagi, Hulk, Doi and Kong, and as the stipulation Kong was unmasked. On May 8 to June 12 YAMATO participated at the 2017 King of Gate at the block A and he finished his block with 6 points (three wins and three losses). On July 23 at Kobe World Pro Wrestling Festival, YAMATO successfully defended the Open The Dream Gate Championship title against the winner of the 2017 King of Gate T-Hawk. On September 18 at Dangerous Gate YAMATO lost his Open The Dream Gate Championship Masaaki Mochizuki. On November 3 at Gate of Destiny, YAMATO, Hulk and Kzy defeated Shingo Takagi, Takashi Yoshida, and El Lindaman to win the Open the Triangle Gate Championship. The match also included Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, and Kotoka. On December 23 at Final Gate YAMATO, BxB Hulk and Kzy lost the titles to Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino and Jason Lee. In May 2018, YAMATO was caught in a storyline, where he was involved in the Dead or Alive Steel Cage Survival match which his hair was also on the line and managed to escape the cage. Following the Dead or Alive, YAMATO took part in the King of Gate, finishing the tournament with a record of three wins and one loss, advancing to the semifinals of the tournament. On July 1, YAMATO defeated Naruki Doi to advance to the finals of the tournament. YAMATO was defeated by Masato Yoshino on June 9 in the finals of the tournament. On July 22 at Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival, YAMATO and BxB Hulk defeated Big Ben (Big R Shimizu and Ben-K) to win the Open the Twin Gate Championship. On December 19, YAMATO and Hulk were forced to vacant the Open The Twin Gate Championship due to Hulk suffering a neck injury. On December 23 at Final Gate YAMATO and Kagetora failed to regain the Open The Twin Gate Championship in a four-way elimination tag team match involving Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino, Bandido and Flamita, and Ben-K and Big R Shimizu.

Since January 2019, Tribe Vanguard suffered three casualties with Hulk and Maria, being injured and Flamita in Mexico, YAMATO had to ask KAI to join Tribe Vanguard, which he accepted. On February 5, tensions would come ahead between Tribe Vanguard and all the stables in Dragon Gate. agreeing to a match on March 7. At the event on March 7, Tribe Vanguard won the four-way eight-man tag team elimination match, due to an error by R.E.D. General Manager Takayuki Yagi capitalized on the opportunity and announced the rules for the Steel Cage Survival match, as well multiple tag team matches between members of the respective units to decide, which member would enter in the match. Leading to the event, YAMATO joked that he would kick out Maria, leading him to return from his injury. YAMATO and U-T defeated Kagetora and KAI, with YAMATO pinning Kagetora to represent Tribe Vanguard in the match. On April 28, YAMATO and KAI defeated Ben-K and Shimizu to win the Open the Twin Gate Championship, after Eita cost Ben-K and Shimizu the match. On May 6 at Dead or Alive, Hulk returned from his injury as Darkside Hulk helping YAMATO to escape the "Bonds" steel cage survival five-way match. After the match, YAMATO decided that no one would be no one kicked out of the stable. Later that month, In May, YAMATO took part in the 2019 King of Gate, finishing the tournament with a record of three wins and two losses, failing to advance to the semifinals of the tournament. On June 9, YAMATO and KAI faced Naruki Doi and Kaito Ishida for the Open The Twin Gate Champions, during the match, Eita and Big R Shimizu, interfered in the match, while also claiming to be the next challengers. Tribe Vanguard and MaxiMuM weren't satisfied with the conclusion of the match and all teams wanted to face each other in a rematch, leading General Manager Takayuki Yagi making the match official of the event. On July 21, at Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival, YAMATO and KAI lost the Open The Twin Gate Championship to Eita and Shimizu in a three-way match also involving Naruki Doi and Kaito Ishida.

Dragon Gate and "Generation War" (2019–2020) [ edit | edit source ]

On December 15 at Final Gate, YAMATO and Hulk defeated Eita and Big R Shimizu to regain the Open The Twin Gate Championship. Three days later, Hulk turned on YAMATO to join R.E.D, revealing himself to be the Red Masked Demon. He would blame YAMATO for inviting KAI to the stable, while he was injured when he also had a neck injury. Afterwards, YAMATO suspended the stable and formed the Dragon Gate stable in order to unite all Dragon Gate generation of wrestlers against Toryumon and R.E.D in a "Generation War". Meanwhile, Kagetora became part of the Toryumon due to Último Drágon being his mentor. On December 22, YAMATO forfeited his half of the Open The Twin Gate Championship, leading to Hulk protest against the decision. Afterwards, General Manager Takayuki Yagi declared the titles vacated, with the new champions being crown in a tournament in January. In January 2020, YAMATO and Ben-K took part in a tournament to crown the new Open The Twin Gate Champions, losing to the R.E.D duo of BxB Hulk and Kazma Sakamoto in the finals of the tournament on January 15. From May 15 until June 6, YAMATO took part in the 2020 King of Gate, losing in the semifinals to eventual winner Eita, eliminating him from the tournament. Following the tournament, YAMATO and KAI became part of a feud between BxB Hulk, Big R Shimizu, Eita and Masato Yoshino, after YAMATO mocked Hulk for being Eita's servant after Hulk helped Eita defeating YAMATO during the 2020 King of Gate semifinals and later Yoshino for his retirement, leading Dragon Gate General Manager Takayuki Yagi announcing them as part of the six-way steel cage survival match, during which if YAMATO had lost he would be forced to wrestle in plain white briefs, shoes and socks and cut his hair. On September 21, at Dangerous Gate, during the six-way steel cage survival match, KAI turned on YAMATO, before retrieving the first flag of the match, leading him to join R.E.D as part of the match's stipulation. Afterwards, YAMATO managed to retreive the third flag, escaping the cage match. On November 15 at Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival, YAMATO, who was repacing his Dragon Gate stablemate Jason Lee teamed with Kota Minoura in a losing effort against R.E.D (BxB Hulk and KAI) for the vacant Open The Twin Gate Championship. On December 27, after R.E.D forced Toryumon to disband, YAMATO decided to disband the Dragon Gate Generation stable, ending the "Generation War".

High-End (2021–Present) [ edit | edit source ]

Following the disbanding of Dragon Gate, on January 13, YAMATO faced Dragon Kid in a match, which ended in a no contest, after KAI attacked YAMATO. Afterwards, KAI reminded that YAMATO was alone, after deciding to disband the Dragon Gate stable. However, Dragon Kid decided to form a team with YAMATO, in order to avenge Toryumon, which R.E.D had forced to disband. This feud with R.E.D led to a match on February 5, where YAMATO and Kid faced R.E.D members KAI and SB KENTo. The match ended by disqualification after KENTo removed Kid's mask. However, dissatisfied with the outcome of the match, Kid and YAMATO faced KAI and KENTo in a rematch, which Kid pinned KENTo. Afterwards, YAMATO proposed the creation of a new stable with Kid, which he accepted. The two were joined by Ben-K and Keisuke Okuda, with name of the new stable being revealed on March 4. At the event, the new stable was named High-End. Later that night, Kid faced KENTo in a losing effort. Afterwards, YAMATO attacked him, until KAI appeared, which led to YAMATO facing KAI in a losing effort. After the match, YAMATO kept attacking KAI, until Dragon Gate's General Manager Takayuki Yagi announced that YAMATO would be forced to team with KAI against Kid and SB KENTo in a Mask vs. Hair Steel cage survival tag team match on May 5, at Dead or Alive. At Dead or Alive, YAMATO was the third wrestler to escape, winning the match for his team, after KENTo allowed YAMATO to retrieve the flag in order to face Kid. At the end, Kid defeated KENTo forcing him to shave his hair. Later that month, YAMATO took part in the 2021 King of Gate, where he won his block with a record of three wins and two draws, advancing to the semifinals of the tournament. On June 3, YAMATO was defeated by Kota Minoura, in the semifinals of the 2021 King of Gate.

Dragon Gate USA (2009–2012) [ edit | edit source ]

KAMIKAZE USA (2009–2011) [ edit | edit source ]

On Enter the Dragon, Dragon Gate USA's first-ever pay-per-view which first aired on September 4, 2009, YAMATO defeated BxB Hulk in the opener. On the very same show, YAMATO cemented his villainous status when he and Gran Akuma engaged in a post-match attack on Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw, starting a feud with the Chikara wrestlers. This led to YAMATO & Akuma facing Quackenbush & Jigsaw in a losing effort at Untouchable. At Freedom Fight, YAMATO entered the tournament to crown the first Open the Freedom Gate Champion. He defeated Davey Richards to qualify for the four-way elimination match tournament finals against Hulk, Akuma, and CIMA, but Hulk gained revenge by last eliminated YAMATO to become the champion. At Fearless, YAMATO teamed with Shingo Takagi in an elimination match against Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino and The Young Bucks. The duo would survive to see the Bucks eliminated but fell to Doi & Yoshino in defeat. After the conclusion of Fearless' main-event, YAMATO ran out with Takagi, Akuma, and Richards to beat down both Hulk and Dragon Kid, but the attackers were thwarted by the Chikara wrestlers. At Mercury Rising, YAMATO successfully defended his newly won Open the Dream Gate Championship against Susumu Yokosuka in his first defense, while forming the KAMIKAZE USA stable with Takagi and Jon Moxley. At Uprising, Akira Tozawa and Gran Akuma were added to the KAMIKAZE USA stable, while YAMATO teamed again with Takagi to defeat the team of CK-1, CIMA and Dragon Kid. KAMIKAZE USA would also attack Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Yoshino, and Hulk after their matches, leading to Quackenbush challenging YAMATO to a match between KAMIKAZE USA and the Chikara wrestlers. The match took place at Enter The Dragon 2010, which saw YAMATO, Tozawa, Moxley ,and Akuma, representing KAMIKAZE USA, being defeated by Yoshino, Quackenbush, Jigsaw, and Hallowicked, ending the feud between KAMIKAZE USA and the Chikara wrestlers. At Untouchable 2010, YAMATO was defeated by the WWE wrestler Bryan Danielson.

At United: NYC in January 2011, YAMATO defeated his nemesis BxB Hulk to win the Open the Freedom Gate Championship. At Mercury Rising 2011, Austin Aries challenged YAMATO for his title by putting his own career on the line. YAMATO defeated Aries, who would later renege on his promise to leave the company. At the Open the United Gate 2011, YAMATO defeated his former KAMIKAZE USA stablemate Akira Tozawa to retain his title.

Junction Three (2011–2012) [ edit | edit source ]

By June, YAMATO had joined the Junction Three stable in Japan to feud with heels Blood Warriors after the dissolution of KAMIKAZE and its American version, KAMIKAZE USA, which cemented YAMATO's face status. At Fearless 2011, YAMATO would join forces with Tozawa to challenge for the Open the United Gate Championship from the tag team champions (and Junction Three stablemates) Masato Yoshino and PAC, but PAC pinned Tozawa to ensure the champions retained their titles. At Enter the Dragon 2011, YAMATO defeated his stablemate PAC to retain his Open the Freedom Gate Championship in his fourth successful defense. (YAMATO's third successful defense of his title was against Yasushi Kanda in Japan in April 2011). At Untouchable 2011, CIMA, YAMATO's longtime rival and the leader of the Blood Warriors' stable, challenged YAMATO for his Open the Freedom Gate Championship based on CIMA's pin on YAMATO in a fatal-four way non-title match earlier that year at Uprising 2011. YAMATO managed to defeat CIMA in his fifth successful defense of his title. At Revolt!, YAMATO defeated BxB Hulk, who was now a Blood Warriors member, in DGUSA's first no-rope no-DQ match, which was also a non-title match. At Bushido 2011, YAMATO equaled BxB Hulk's number of successful title defenses with six by defeating Chuck Taylor of Ronin. At Freedom Fight 2011 in November, YAMATO lost the Open the Freedom Gate Championship to Johnny Gargano of Ronin.

Canon's company history refers to another Tokyo company, Yamato Kōgaku Seisakusho (大和光学製作所 - Yamato Optical Manufacturing Company Ltd.), which merged with Canon (then Precision Optical Industry Company 精機光学工業株式会社) in 1944 (and so is definitely not the post-War Yamato company below). ΐ] This company was in Itabashi ward.

Yamato Kōki Kōgyō K.K. (大和光機工業㈱ - Yamato Camera Industry Company) was a Japanese camera maker.

The origin of this Yamato company is unclear. It is known that the company was already active in 1952. Α] The first cameras made for sure by Yamato were the Minon 35, Pax 35 and Minon Six. Their roots can be traced back to two different companies.

On the one hand, the Minon 35 and Pax 35 were respectively developed from the Dan 35 III and Super Dan 35. Many sources say that all the Dan 35 models distributed by Hagimoto from 1948 to 1950 were already made by Yamato, but this is unclear (see Dan 35 I and II). Another possibility would be that Yamato took over the production of the Dan models after the failure of Hagimoto in 1950.

On the other hand, the Minon Six was an evolution of the Poppy Six by Shin Nippon Kōgyō, itself a derivative of the Gotex released around 1941 by Kigawa. The original Minon Six and early Minon Six II have SNK logos and were surely made by Shin Nippon Kōgyō, and the late Minon Six II and III were advertised as made by Yamato. It is not known if the production was transferred from Shin Nippon Kōgyō to Yamato Kōki Kōgyō, or if the latter was a renaming of the former.

Yamato continued to develop the Pax line into the early 1960s. It presented the Artronic F Zoom and Artronic L prototypes, one still and one cine camera, at the Photokina in 1963, the first cameras in the world to have an electronic shutter. Β] Γ] The company was probably not financially strong enough to manufacture them, and all trace of it is lost after that date.

One example of the Pal Jr offered for sale in an online auction has a box printed Nihon Photo Electric Co., Ltd along the bottom half (Pax and Pal cameras are sometimes seen with boxes of the same style, printed Yamato Koki Kogyo Co., Ltd in the same place). This may suggest either that Yamato allowed Nihon Photo Electric (the lightmeter company Nihon Kōden) to market the camera under its own name, or even that Nihon Photo Electric bought Yamato (this might be consistent with the development of electronic shutters).

Another company called Yamato Kōki Kōgyō K.K. is known to exist today (2008), and currently makes microtomes (medical research instruments). It was founded in 1926 as Kikuchi Seisakusho (菊池製作所) by Kikuchi Rikichi, and took its present name in 1944. Δ] The history page on its website does not mention cameras, and its address from 1952 to 1984 was in Tokyo, Shinjuku, not the same as the address of the camera maker. Ε] It is thus probable that the two companies were not related.

Bolta film cameras

The Dan 35 cameras are attributed by some sources to Yamato Kōki Kōgyō, but this is unclear. The development of the Dan 35 was supervised by Hagimoto.

Watch the video: 352 - Space Battleship Yamato 2010 Live Action Movie - Full Movie - Rare Dub (June 2022).